Day 3 on the Mountain, August 1, 2012

As always, I woke up just as the sky was starting to turn pink from the rising sun.  I could see several horses. It was good to see them.  They were not out the day before.  I wondered what horses had slept by us.

I decided to grab my camera and walk a short way to see some of the bands.   I saw Doc, Coronado, and Baja bands.  Then, something happened that I found very unusual.  When Kiva from Cornado’s band saw me, she whinnied and started trotting towards me.  I wasn’t sure what to think.  She continued a few more steps and then stopped.  I wondered if for a few seconds she saw my motion and thought maybe I was her missing foal.  That is the only thing I could think of.  She continued to keep a close eye on my while the rest of her band ate.

Coronado and his band, August 1, 2012
Kiva, August 1, 2012
Kiva still watching me, August 1, 2012

I am extremely sad about Kiva’s removal.  I have watched her grow from a little filly into a young mother.  It will be really hard not to see her out on the range.

Of course I will miss every horse that was removed, but there are a few who will especially leave an empty space, and she is one of them.

Kiva, October 2010

I watched as the band walked past me and continued on.

Fools Gold and Kiva, August 1, 2012
August 1, 2012
Coronado’s band, August 1, 2012

I looked back and saw Broken Bow and Malpais grooming each other.  It was another peaceful morning.  I watched the other bands for a few minutes before I turned back.  It was so peaceful, I felt out-of-place, so I decided to leave them and let them continue their morning without me disturbing it.

August 1, 2012
Baja’s band, August 1, 2012
Washakie and her new filly, Meadowlark, August 1, 2012

Shortly after I got back to our camp, I saw Grijala and his band.  The three Special K’s and Quelle Colour.   He would loss one more K later that day, Kalahari.

I wondered if he would try to win Ketchikan from Gringo.

Grijala’s band, August 1, 2012
Quelle Colour, August 1, 2012
Kohl, August 1, 2012
Kalahari, August 1, 2012
Kindra, August 1, 2012
Grijala, August 1, 2012

We decided to go to the pond.  Doc and Grijala had beat us there.

Broken Bow
August 1, 2012

Everything was pretty peaceful, until Doc decided that he did not want Grijala anywhere near his band.  He took off after them and chased them down the hill towards the pond.

Running from Doc!
Demure and Melpais, August 1, 2012

After a brief exchange, Grijala took his band and went to the other side of the pond.

Doc and Grijala
August 1, 2012

Then Doc and his band went to the pond to drink.  This was where I really noticed the closeness that Doc and Jenny had developed.

Doc’s Band

For what ever reason, Doc was in the lead.  I think perhaps he felt the pressure from Grijala, still on the other side of the pond.  Usually it is the lead mare that leads and the stallion stays in the back.

Doc’s band

We waited a while, it was quiet.  We decided to go back to camp and pack up.  We did not want to be here for another day of removals.  It was just too hard.

As we packed up and ate lunch, we saw our new friend, Booboo bear come over the ridge.  I was able to get several shots of him.  In fact, I was expecting him to come for a visit, he had for the last two days.

August 1, 2012
August 1, 2012
August 1, 2012

We headed down the road towards the pond, once more.  Stopping to talk to some people and meet some others that were there.  The Billings Gazette was there that day.  You can read the article they wrote by, clicking PRYORS.

It had been a good trip.  I got to know Lori so much better and consider her a very close friend.  I also got to say goodbye to Lakota and goodbye to some horses that I will no longer see on the range.  It was sad in many ways, but peaceful in others.  As always, I will treasure my trip to the mountain.

My next trip to the mountain will be soon.  I am taking my daughter Amber this time.  Then I will be back for the adoption.  I am hoping to be able to give one of the horses a special home with us.  We will have to see how it all works out.  But I am hoping for the best.

The next morning I would go to check on Cecelia.  If you have not read that post click CECELIA.  Matt emailed me this weekend and said she still had not foaled!  Soon!  I am sure!


Logo designed by Amber Bushnell

23 thoughts on “Day 3 on the Mountain, August 1, 2012

  • BooBoo Bear, I love it………………Sandy Kiva sure had his eye on you, wondering if she is conveying a message, adopt me? She certainly has her eyes on you…………………….They are all so gorgeous, great pics, as alway’s, thank you, thank you, for sharing ((((hugs))))))

  • Thanks, Sandy. Was Boo Boo interested in your pick-a-nic basket? 🙂 What a powerful photo of Doc… did you not see Galaxy and band this trip?

    • Hi Joy, Yes, I saw Galaxy several times. Let me think, I think it was on our second day, check that post… You did not comment, so you must not of seen it! 🙂 No, Booboo was only interested in moving out once he saw us. 😉
      Yes, it is on the July 30, afternoon post!

      • Now I remember — I did comment but it was one I did not go back and read again (I usually read them two or three times!) because it was so emotional… Thanks. About Dove — Shawn has some photos of her from last year where it looks like she had a reaction to a PZP shot. But as we know, it doesn’t always take.

      • Oh, and I forgot to mention I also really like the cover photo on this post 🙂

      • Well, there is a story behind that. Believe it or not, they were all looking at Lakota. Lakota’s mare QC, and his daughter…even the others and was a very spiritual moment. I hesitated to tell it, but since you noticed it…

        It seemed as if they were pausing in respect. I watched others over the those few days I was there, go closer and pause. Now you can decide what you want, but I feel they were giving their respects to a wonderful stallion…

        I just could not write about it, too painful. Thanks for noticing Joy!

      • It means even more now — the world is full of wonders… and many are found here.

  • Poor Kiva. I know it’s not easy for the mares when their foals disapear. Maybe she is already pregnant and will have another next year. I feel bad for poor Grijala who lost so many members of his band. He had put together quite the band especially with him being a new band stallion! At least he still has some. After Kachina and Katrina were removed I thought Kalahari was in the clear and was suprised when she was removed. Some of the later ones caught me off guard. Like Kiva, she surprised me too. I guess was thinking since they were close to their number they would be focusing more on the bands with multiples they wanted (Jackson and Duke). Which they did, but I guess I wasn’t expecting some horses to go back. And I REALLY hope Dove is pregnant! And for Cecelia to foal 🙂

  • Great stuff, as always, Sandy. 🙂 And there’s no doubt in my mind that horses (like other animals, particularly elephants) mourn for and pay their own kind of “respects” to their fallen. And as we also mourn for him, I believe that Lakota has joined the league of his ancestors in the spirit world, and I’m sure his place is one of leadership. The effects of his leadership will be felt on the range for a long time thru his offspring, which is a fitting tribute to his greatness. 🙂 Concerning the other horses, I think the expression on Doc’s face that you captured in that picture is just priceless. He was SERIOUS! 🙂

  • I sure hope you get to give the horse you want a home! 😀 I’m glad this herd gets a speedy adoption; I’m considering one this weekend who has been in holding for 11 months because there’s so many horses and not enough adopters 🙁

  • Sandy, so many horses look pregnant…isn’t this late in the season to be foaling? Snow comes early in your parts, and I wonder about the survival rate amongst the young ones.

  • I should mention I also feel really bad for Kiva losing her foal—whatever happened to it—and for the foal. But, life is not always idyllic and tranquil on the mountain, even without the interference of man. It had to be very hard to see her desperate searching for her missing baby. That sort of thing is so sad, under any circumstances, anywhere. I’m glad your next trip to the Pryors should hold more “happy” things, and I’m sure it will just having your daughter there with you. 🙂

  • Wonderful photos Sandy…as always. I just love your writing have so much feeling and compassion for these wild ones!
    I feel it too, and perhaps that is why we had such a good time together up there. You are a very special person in my book Sandy!
    I hope we can do that again sometime, and I am sure that we will. There were so many magical and spiritual moments up there for me and you havce captured them in your photos so well and deserving. Great job Sandy!

    All of the horses at Britton Springs are doing very well. The “special needs” horses are looking so much better as I look at my photos from the first time I went out, and from yesterday.
    They are taking very good care of all the horses.
    They will be getting them ready for the adoption this week. They call it “processing”, but I would like to call it “prepping”. Is that a real word? HA!!
    Matt should be posting something on his blog any time now as he was there yesterday too.

    Our shelter is just about finished. The roof will go on Wednesday. Then all we have to do is buy the panels and put the corral together. The automatic water/heater should be hooked up soon too. I have some good grass hay coming to the Center…so we will be ready for the Center’s “Ambassadors”!!

    We are all very excited about this.

    • Thanks Lori, I had a really great time with you! It will hopefully be an annual event for us! 🙂
      Thanks for the update on the horses at Britton Springs! I look forward to Matt’s post.
      Post some photos of your shelter, sounds like it is really nice!

Leave a Reply