A Tribute To The Horses That Have Passed in 2020
As I have done for the last several years, here is the annual tribute of the horses that have died in 2020. While the list is not as long as it has been for the last several years, it is not any less painful to read the names. Rest in peace. Thank you to Laura and Brittny for the use of their photos.
- Blizzard, beautiful son of Waif and Durango, born in 2001. I remember one of my first trips up the Dryhead in 2009. He came running across the open land with the wind blowing in his gorgeous mane. He was a sight to behold! I’m sure his spirit is still there running with the wind.
2. Broken Bow, daughter of 198505 and Froggie. She was born in 1993. The mother of Jackson, it was ironic that she passed in the same year as her son. Broken Bows, quiet and strong presence has been on the mountain for so long. She was always a strong mare, most times being the lead mare in her band. She really preferred to not be around people, but did allow me to get some photos of her when she let her guard down. She will be greatly missed.
3. Jackson, son of Broken Bow and Two Boots, born in 1998. What do I say about Jackson? He was one of the most amazing stallions I ever had the privilege to meet. I felt he was everything a band stallion need to be. Kind, protective and loving. Even when he lost his band, he continued to nuture those that needed him. The mountain will not be the same without him.
4. Oak, son of Fresia and Hidalgo, born in 2014. His life ended much to soon. He was struck and killed by an automobile. Rest in peace.
5. Tecumseh, son of Warbonnet and Flash, born in 1998. If I could describe Tecumseh in one word, it would be Determination. He was perhaps the most determined stallion I ever saw. When he lost his band to Gringo in 2012, he refused to give up. I witnessed many brutal fights between the two of them, even one where I was sure Gringo had chased Tecumseh off a cliff. But still, Tecumseh never gave up and eventually he and Gringo made peace. He and Galadrial had a beautiful daughter (Oceana), who is still on the mountain.
6. Waif, daughter of , daughter of Twiggy and Cortez, born in 2005. Waif was usually a dryhead horse, but I will never forget the time Corona brought them all up on top of the mountain. That was the summer of 2013, when their son Norte was just a colt. Topper was with them at the time (which I was sure was the reason they went up there. She was a very strong mare and most likely would not take no for an answer!) While I did not see her often, I was fortunate to see them on April day in 2013 with the their new foal Norte. She lives on with many that carry her bloodline.
Rest in Peace, Run Like The Wind, and know that your spirit will continue to be on the mountain.
2020 Pryor Foal # 15
2020 Foals # 12, 13 and 14
Pryor Foal # 12 was born to Icara and Johnston. Birth date possibly August 11. Icara is the 2008 daughter of Waif and Corona, Johnston is the 2009 son of Cascade and Seattle.
The foal is a colt and has been named Utopia. Thank you Brittney for the use of your photos.
Pryor Foal # 13 was born to Nina and Oglala. Birth date possibly August 22. Nina is the 2013 daughter of Bakken (father unknown). Oglala is the 2014 son of Icara ( father possibly Hildago).
The foal is a filly and has been named Ula.
Thank you Brittny for the use of your beautiful photos!
Pryor Foal # 14 was born to Greta and Garcia. Birth date possibly August 26. Greta is the 2006 daughter of Belle Starr and Chino. Garcia is the 2006 son of Topper and Tony.
The foal is a filly and has been named Uma.
2020 Pryor Foals # 10 and # 11
Pryor Foal # 10 was born to LaBrava and Irial. Labrava is the 2011 daughter of Blue Sioux and Coronado. Irial is the 2008 son of Ireland and Prince. The foal is a colt and has been named Ultra Blue.
Pryor foal # 11 was born to the mare Hailstorm. This is a long awaited foal. Several of us for years have been hoping for a Hailstorm foal, and finally at the age of 13 she has had her first known foal.
Hailstorm is the 2007 daughter of Aztec and Cloud. There are 3 possible sires of this foal: Killian, Miocene, Orlando and possibly Nickel. I will be listing the sire as unknown.
The foal is a colt and has been named Uno Caballo.
2020 Pryor Foals # 5,6,7,8 & 9
I’ve been a bit behind on announcing the new foal arrivals on my blog. But, here they are:
Pryor Foal # 5
The fifth foal for 2020 was born on Mother’s Day weekend to the mare Pilar and stallion Hamlet. Pilar is the 2015 daughter of LaBrava and Irial. Hamlet is the 2007 son of Delliah and Pierre. The foal is a colt and has been named Ukiah.
Pryor Foal # 6
The sixth foal for 2020 was born on Mother’s Day weekend to the mare Morning Reverie. Morning Reverie is the 2017 daughter of Hataali and Morning Star. I am listing the father of this horse as unknown. The foal is a filly and has been named Usha.
Pryor Foal # 7
Foal # 7 for the season was born to Quintana and Okomi, also born on Mother’s Day weekend. Quintana is the 2016 daughter of Feldspar and Mescalero. Okomi is the 2015 son of Firestorm and Jackson. The foal is a colt and has been named Udall.
Pryor Foal # 8
Pryor Foal # 8 was born to the Penn and Jesse James. The birth of this foal was probably Mother’s Day week or the week before. Penn is the 2015 daughter of Audobon and Hamlet. The foal is a filly and has been named Ukulele Lil.
Pryor Foal # 9
The 9th foal of this year was just discovered this past weekend by Dennis. The foal has been born to Niobrara and Fools Crow. Niobrara is the 2013 daughter of Firestorm and Jackson. Fools Crow is the 2005 son of Strawberry and Cortez. The foal is a filly and has been named Uushuwate.
Thank you Dennis for the use of your beautiful photos!
2020 Pryor Foal # 4
Pryor Foal # 4 was born to Morgana and Johnston. Morgana is the 2012 daughter of Icara and Merlin. Johnston is the 2009 son of Cascade and Seattle. The foal is a filly and has been named Umatilla.
Thank you so much Brittny for the use of your beautiful photos and the text letting me know of her birth.
2020 Pryor Foal # 3
Pryor Foal # 3 was born to Feldspar and Okomi. Feldspar is the 2005 daughter of Rosarita and Starman. Okomi is the 2016 son of Jackson and Firestorm. The foal is a colt and has been named Utah.
Pryor Mountain Management Proposal
Below is the letter I received as an “Interested Party”
In Reply Refer To: 4700 (MTC01)
Dear Interested Party:
United States Department of the Interior
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT Billings Field Office
5001 Southgate Drive
Billings, Montana 59101 http://www.blm.gov/montana-dakotas
The Billings Field Office is initiating public scoping and encouraging input on a Joint Management Area Plan (JMAP) for the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range. The planning area includes public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), National Park Service and the U.S. Forest Service which comprise the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range.
Implementation of a Herd Management Area Plan (HMAP) or a Joint Management Area Plan (JMAP) is consistent with the authority provided in 43 CFR 4700 and the 1971 Wild Free- Roaming Horses and Burros Act (WFRHBA). The JMAP is needed to manage wild horses within the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range Joint Management Area to maintain the wild horse herd as a self-sustaining population of healthy animals in balance with other uses and the productive capacity of their habitat and attain the objectives outlined in the Billings Field Office Approved Resource Management Plan.
The Billings Field Office will begin accepting public scoping comments regarding long and short-term management objectives for an updated Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range Joint Management Area Plan (JMAP) through the ePlanning website at http://eplanning.blm.gov . Public comments will be considered in the development of an Environmental Assessment that will be prepared to analyze and recommend a decision regarding long and short-term management actions for the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range
Substantive comments and recommendations should focus on long and short-term herd and habitat management objectives and goals. Please refer to the Preliminary Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range Joint Management Area Plan on the ePlanning website at http://eplanning.blm.gov for the preliminary plan. Examples of substantive input includes comments regarding:
- Population control, method and techniques, sex ratios and growth rates.
- Removal criteria such as characteristics and age structure.
- Achieving appropriate management levels for the attainment of a thriving natural
- Maintenance of existing developments.
- Healthy populations of wild horses including her characteristics and age structure.
Electronic comments may only be submitted via e-Planning however, if you prefer to submit hard copy comments you can mail to:
Preliminary Pryor Mountain Joint Management Area Plan can be found at: BLM e-Planning website – https://eplanning.blm.gov
Click “Text Search”
Click “Advanced Search” in the NEPA #: Type DOI-BLM-MT-C010-0004-EA
Click “Comment on Document”
Mail: Billings Field Office 5001 Southgate Drive
Billings, MT 59101-4669
The BLM will consider any substantive comments and include as appropriate. Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment, including your personal identifying information, may be publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.
Comments must be submitted no later than close of business on Friday, May 15, 2020 in order to be considered. If you have questions, please contact Jerrie Bertola at (406) 896-5223.
Field Manager Billings Field Office
Here is a link that will take you to the proposal details. Click on BLM
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at my email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All comments must be submitted by May 15, 2020. You can submit on line or via mail.
When commenting, please remain courteous and try to back up your comments with educated reasons.
2020 Pryor Foal # 2
2020 Pryor Foal # 2 was born to Phantom and Johnston. Phantom is the 2015 daughter of Icara and Fools Crow. Johnston is the 2009 son of Cascade and Seattle.
The foal is a filly and has been named Unity.
Thank you Brittny for the use of your beautiful photos.