Below is a list of the horses that were removed from the range and will be available through an Internet Adoption, which has now started and will end two weeks from today. Please click on BLM for details on how to fill out an application and adopt, once you get approved for a home, you will be assigned a bid number. All horses must be picked up at Britton Springs, just outside of Lovell, Wyoming.
I was on the mountain during all of the removal of the mountain top horses. Below are the ones that they have removed to date, in the order that they were removed.
And as I continue to write this post and look for photos to add, I realize that there is not one horse that I won’t miss horribly. Perhaps that is why it has taken me a week to finally work on it. It was easier not to think about it. But, now that the internet adoption has started, I wanted to get it done and give everyone a chance to read and see some photos of the special horses that are up for adoption.
So here they are:
- Mesa. Mesa is the 2012 daughter of Sapo and Bolder. She is a very sweet and beautiful dun girl. While the rest of Bolder’s band seem to be getting out of hand with 3 stallions in the band, Miss Mesa seems to remain quiet, but always watching. She loved to come with her band to my campsite, and she would often stay for a long while. She seems to be very tolerant of people. Her color and build is amazing.
2. Olivia. Olivia is the 2014 daughter of Halcyon and Blue Moon. Olivia is grulla roan and a real beauty. From just a few days after her birth, she has shown her personality. Sweet, self-confident and a bit independent, this little filly should make someone a great horse.
3. Nahwa. Nahwa is the 2013 son of Baja and Washakie. Nahwa, a dun, is a little small for his age, he was born in September of 2013. But he makes up for his small size with a big personality. Already a bachelor, he holds his own with the other bachelors. This summer I did see him go back to his band for a short visit, often play sparring with his father. This color is one of my favorites on the mountain, he is almost an exact smaller version of Baja. Someone is going to have a real gem with this young colt.
4. Meriweather. Meriweather is the 2012 daughter of Madonna and Duke. She has been with Garay’s band for a while now. She is quiet, but a very attentive and caring little filly. I know her band will miss her ever watchful eye on the young ones of the band.
5. Ojai. Ojai is the 2014 daughter of Baja and Washakie. Another beautiful dun, like her full brother Nahwa, she is a classic example of what a primitive dun marked horse should look like. She is a sweet filly, very devoted to her mother Washakie.
6. Odakota. Odakota is the 2014 son of Graciana and Duke. I saw him the day after he was born and he quickly became a favorite of mine. Over the winter he bloomed into a stunning young horse.
7. Nye. Nye is the 2013 daughter of Jackson and Galena. I discovered Nye shortly after she was born in April, 2014 and have followed her closely. It seems when you find and name a horse, you can’t help but get more attached to them. She is a beautiful grulla, and very well put together. If someone is looking for a strong, self-confident mare, she is the one for you. I will miss her.
8. McKeahnie. McKeahnie is the 2012 son of Cappuccino and Gabrielle. He is an amazing horse. Not only a stunning dun color, but his personally matches his beauty. His father is a powerhouse in the Pryor Herd, but in a caring way. I look for McKeahnie to carry on with that same personality. I’ll miss this guy, the one thing that especially stands out in my mind with him, was the day he lost track of his family band. It was May, 2014, and when he saw me and my UTV, he came running over and stayed grazing by us for over an hour. Enjoying the company, feeling less alone. I know he will find someone that will give him that special time that he deserves.
9. Maelstrom. Maelstrom is the 2012 son of Firestorm and Jackson. He is a stunning red roan and loved to run with the bachelors.
10. Orion. Orion is the 2013 son of Corona and Waif. I have only seen this colt a few times, but he is a stunning horse who has lived in the Dryhead/Sykes area of the range.
11. Oregon. Oregon is the 2013 daughter of Sacejawea. She is another Dryhead horse that I have not seen very much. This beautiful photo was taken by Laura C. in May, 2015. Thank you Laura!
12. Norte. Norte is the 2013 son of Waif and Corona. Full brother to Orion. I discovered him several miles up Sykes Ridge Road in April 2013.
13. Ohanzee. Ohanzee is the son of Feldspar and Cloud. He is a beautiful colt that would have lived with his family on the mountain top during the summer months. But somehow this spring he was separated from his band when Cloud lost them, ending up living as a bachelor in the Dryhead.
14. Mercuria. Mercuria is the 2012 daughter of Jewel and Merlin. Merlin has one of the best bloodlines in the herd, a beautiful grullo, with a lot of stripes. Mercuria’s filly, Paquita was born this past spring. Her sire is most likely Hawk.
15. Montana. Montana is the 2012 son of Fresia and Merlin.
16. Moorcroft. Moorcroft is the 2012 grullo son of Brumby and Jackson. In my opinion this was the perfect match. Brumby and Jackson’s last offspring, he will be greatly missed on the mountain top. Moorcroft has an amazing build, whoever adopts him will be one lucky person.
17. Milicent. Milicent is the 2012 daughter of Greta and Garcia. This spring she joined Jasper’s band. She is a bit shyer than some, being the daughter of one of the wildest horses on the range. She will most likely need a very gentle hand to show her that humans can be trusted. This is most likely going to be a horse that will need a lot of patience, but by giving it to her, that person will be greatly rewarded.
If more any more horses are removed and become available for adoption, I will add them to this post.
If you have any questions about these horses or would like to see more photos, feel free to contact me by email or text at: Email: email@example.com or Text: 406-360-8959.