While the discovery on Sunday of one missing horse (Cloud) was very much celebrated by all (including myself), there are still some horses that are missing or have been”relocated” to other bands or stallions. I am equally as concerned about these horses.
When I started this blog in February 2012, my goal was to focus on every horse on the range, not just the very famous ones, and I will continue to do that. Hopefully, giving each horse a chance to shine.
Below is a list of the current horses that have not been seen for a while. I included several photos of each horse and also listed their markings. If anyone sees any of these horses, please let me know. I will then report it to the Center and BLM. Thank you.
1. Demure (mare) Although she has not been missing for very long, I am still very concerned for her. At the time of the above photo she was very pregnant and with the band stallion Doc. She has not been seen since the end of April.
Demure, born in 2003. Color: Grulla. Markings: left white front pastern, right front inside pastern (white), left hind coronet (white), right hind inside pastern (white).
UPDATE: 5-21-2014. Spotted today by TCF and with her is a new colt! So happy about this. Demure lost her foal last year so happy to hear she has another one. This is Foal # 9 for this year. I will post a photo as soon as I can.
2. Mandan/Malpais (colt)
Mandan is Demure’s (and Santa Fe’s) son. Born in 2012. I saw him in February. I contacted the BLM and the last time they saw him was the end of March. At that time he was with the bachelor stallion, Jasper.
Mandan, born in 2012. Color: Black. Markings: small star, right front pastern (white), left hind sock (white).
UPDATE: Confirmed sighting of Mandan/Malpais this past Sunday!! More great news! Thank you PMWMC for posting photos taken by some local Lovell folks!
3. Teton (stallion) Teton lost his band to Hernando in February, 2014. I saw him in mid-February when I was there. He was seen a few weeks later, but not since then.
Teton, born in 1994. Color: Blue Roan. Markings: star and small snip. Left hind sock.
4. Jacinta (mare) Jacninta was in Gringo’s band when I last saw her in September. I contacted the BLM and the last time they saw Jacinta was the end of November.
My friend Anh was on the mountain after I was in September. I knew she had taken some beautiful photos of her and asked if I could use them for this post.
Jacinta, born in 2009. Color: red/bay. Markings: Blaze, Left hind sock, right hind coronet.
UPDATE: May 28th. Found by Scott P. from Powell, Wy. With Meriweather and most likely Grijala (not 100% sure on Grijala). Photo below. Thank you Scott. Update on May 31! Things change quickly, so it will interesting to see who they end up with. Another update (5-31-14) Confirmed sighting of Jacinta with the band stallion Garary, mares, Kohl and Meriweather. Thanks Shawn.
5. Madonna (mare) I am not sure when the last time someone saw Madonna. I do know that it has been several months. A few weeks ago when Ginger was there looking for Cloud, she mentioned in her post that she saw (through her scope) Duke’s band way out. At that time she did not see Madonna or her two daughters, Meriweather and Lariat. I have included photos of both of them here as well.
Madonna, born in 1989. Color: Sorrel. Markings: Blaze.
6. Lariat (filly), born in 2011. Color: Bay. Markings: solid. (May be with Horizon and band.)
7. Meriweather (filly), born in 2012. Color: Bay. Markings: star with connected stripe. Hernia. FOUND! May 29, 2014. Found with Jacinta and most likely Grijala (can’t quite tell). Photo below. Thank you Scott P. Confirmed sighting (May 31, 2014) Meriweather along with Jacinta and Kohl are now with the band stallion Garay. Thanks Shawn.
Thanks again to Anh for providing some of the most beautiful photos I have seen of Madonna.
8. Topper (mare) Topper was last with the band stallion Corona. It has been several months since she has been seen.
Topper, born in 1991. Color: Dun. Markings: solid with fishboning.
9. Tonapah (mare) Tonapah was last seen with Horizon and band. The last time this band was seen (in early winter), she was not with them. However, this band has not been seen for several months, so I have included them here as well. It should be noted that this band (except Tonapah who was formally with Dukes band) spends the winter on the Sykes side. Which has limited access for sights in the winter months.
Tonapah, born in 1986. Color: Grulla. Markings: solid with highlights in mane.
10. Juniper (mare)(Jewel), born in 2009. Color: Buckskin. Markings: left hind sock.
11. Horizon (stallion), born in 2007. Color: dun. Markings: small star and snip. Left hind pastern.
12. Fiesta (stallion), born in 2005. Color: Bay Roan. Markings: Star and connected stripe. Four socks.
UPDATE!! (5-20-2014) Thanks to an email from BLM, I recieved word that this band has been sighted on Burnt Timber Road recently! They have an additional horse with them. Not 100% sure, but it may be Lariat!
13. Garay (stallion) Garay and his band consisting of Lakota’s former lead mare, Quelle Colour and her daughter Kohl, has not been seen for a while. I can not recall when the last time I heard they had been sighted.
Garay, born in 2006. Color: Grullo. Markings: small star, missing left ear tip.
14. Quelle Colour (mare). Born in 1992. Color: Chestnut. Markings: Blaze, left front sock, right hind sock, left hind sock.
15. Kohl (filly). Born in 2010. Color: Black. Markings: small star.
UPDATE!! (5-20-2014) Thanks to an email from BLM, I recieved word that this band has been sighted on Burnt Timber Road recently!
Hopefully some if not all of these horses will be sighted in the next several weeks. Once the horses are on the mountain top, they will be easier to spot and there will be more people watching for them.