It is that time of year again! Time for the 3rd annual “Who Will Have Foals” post. This is based off of the current PZP (birth control) program and include those mares who should not have been given the drug. Of course, not all of these mares may foal and then, like every year, there will most likely be a few surprises.
This year the window of “Non-PZP” are the mares born from 2003-2008. I will be including those from 2009 as well. The 2009 mares are a maybe.
So here we go:
There are four mares in the Dryhead that may foal. I have made one exception from the formula of non-PZP mares, I am including Kitalpha, even though she was born in 2010, because I am betting that she may foal again, simply because no one even saw her filly until it was a few months old, so I am thinking they may not have found her to do a treatment on.
1. Kitalpha, born in 2010, daughter of Buffalo Girl and Durango. She was last seen with the stallion Bristol.
2. Jewel, born in 2009, daughter of Waif and Corona. She was last seen in Hidalgo’s band, but has been with Fools Crow. So if she does foal, it could be either of these stallions.
3. Icara, born in 2008, daughter of Waif and Corona. Currently seen with Fools Crow she has also been with Hidalgo.
4. Halo, born in 2009, daughter of Waif and Corona. Last seen in Hidalgo’s band, has also been with Fools Crow.
5. Fresia, born in 2005, daughter of Buffalo Girl and Durango. Fresia is currently in Hidalgo’s band.
6. Waif, born in 1997, daughter of Twiggy and Cortez. She is currently in Corona’s band. Yes, she is out of the PZP window. But after seeing recent photos of her, I am positive she is pregnant. I discovered Norte the end of April last year and I am thinking Waif will most likely foal again the end of March. Waif was most likely not found to PZP in time this past year to prevent her from foaling.
1. Halcyon, born in 2007, daughter of Blue Sioux and Coronado. Currently in Blue Moon’s Band
2. Isadora, born in 2008, daughter of Rosarita and Starman. Currently in Blue Moon’s band. I saw Blue Moon breeding her in June, so she may foal in May this year.
3. Gabrielle, born in 2006, daughter of Brumby and Jackson. Currently in Cappuccino’s band. I have posted two photos of her. This summer, it seemed she would never lift her head for a good shot, so I have included one of her this summer and one with her head up last February.
4. Fiasco, born in 2005, daughter of Topper Too and Chino. Fiasco is currently in Custer’s band.
5. Fools Gold, born in 2005, daughter of Amethyst and Shaman. Fools Gold is currently in Coronado’s band.
6. Dove, born in 2003, daughter of Phoenix and Teton. This is a maybe. She will be 11 this year, so I believe she may have been given PZP, but I decided to include her here anyway. Dove is currently in Coronado’s band.
7. Demure, born in 2003, daughter of Broken Bow and Two Boots. Same as Dove above, not sure if she was given PZP, but I am including her in hopes that there will be a Doc and Demure foal this year that survives. Demure is currently with Doc.
8. Graciana, born in 2006, daughter of Bacardi and Baja. Graciana is currently in Duke’s band.
9. Helenium, born in 2007, daughter of Rosebud and Sandman. Helenium is currently in Duke’s band. As I looked through my photos to find one of her, I realized that I do not have any good ones of her from this year. Her daughter Noble stole my heart and took my attention every time I saw her! This year I vow to get good photos of Helenium!
10. Hera, born in 2007, daughter of Audobon and Morning Star. Hera is currently in Galaxy’s band. I saw Galaxy breeding her when I was there in early September, so if she does foal, it may not be until August.
11. Greta, born in 2006, daughter of Belle Starr and Chino. Greta is currently in Garcia’s band.
12. Jacinta, born in 2009, daughter of Rosebud and possibly Tecumseh. Jacinta is currently in Gringo’s band. Many of us thought Jacinta was pregnant last spring. It is believed she had a foal that did not survive and that no-one saw.
13. Galadrial, born in 2006, daughter of Atlantis and Duke. Galadrial is currently in Gringo’s band. My friend Anh saw Tecumseh breeding her in mid-September, so if she does foal, it may not be until mid-August.
14. Juniper, born in 2009, daughter of Sapo and Bolder. Juniper is currently in Horizon/Fiesta’s band.
15. Firestorm, born in 2005, daughter of Scarlett and Cloud. She is currently in Jackson’s band.
16. Heritage, born in 2007, daughter of Lakota and Warbonnet. She is currently in Jackson’s band. I adopted Heritage’s only living offspring in 2012, Kootenai. I would really like to see her have a foal this year, and one with Jackson would make it even better!
17. Galena, born in 2006, daughter of Blanca and Lakota. Galena is currently in Jackson’s band.
18. Jasmine, born in 2009, daughter of Aztec and Cloud. She is currently in Jackson’s band.
19. Hailstorm, born in 2007, daughter of Aztec and Cloud. She is currently in Morning Star’s band. Many thought she was pregnant this year. She may have even had a very late foal that no one has seen. I saw this band from a distance the end of October and did not see a foal with her then. My hope is she was not pregnant, but will have one this year giving her and her foal a better chance of life, born in the spring instead of the fall.
20. Gaelic Princess, born in 2006, daughter of Ireland and Prince. She is currently in Morning Star’s band.
21. Hataalii, born in 2007, daughter of Sapo and Shaman. Hataalii is currently in Morning Star’s band.
22. Half Moon, born in 2007, daughter of Rosarita and Starman. Half Moon is currently in Teton’s band. She is also the mother of the my other Pryor filly, Kiowa that I adopted in 2012.
23. Feldspar, born in 2005, daughter of Rosarita and Starman. Feldspar is currently in Cloud’s band.
24. Inocentes, born in 2008, daughter of Fiasco and Baja. Inocentes is currently in Cloud’s band.
That is all of the official possibilities for 2014. A total of 30 foals may be born. I have a feeling it will be less than that, we will just have to wait and see!
Unfortunately, managing the herd with PZP is a must at this time. But I believe that there are more problems arising from this, both physical and mentally within the herd. I witnessed one of those last year with the “stealing” of Nacer by two bands that did not have any new foals (because of PZP). How many other times does that occur, without our knowledge? When only a handful of people who go up to view the horses actually know each and every one of them, it is hard to identify when a new foal is with the wrong band. There were several horses that were thought to be pregnant last year and then suddenly “looked thin”. Was it a natural death for those foals, or did the same happen to them that happened to Nacer? We will never know. Those same bands will be without foals again this year. Something to watch and certainly keep notes on. Also, why are some mares that are in the “No PZP” not conceiving? There can of course be several other factors for those reasons, but again, worth keeping an eye on and making notes about.
My next post will be “The Name Game”, giving everyone an opportunity to suggest names for these new foals. Remember, it is an “O” year and please try to suggest names fitting to the mare and/or stallion. Some past names have very apparent themes, so we try to stick with those. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here!