It is January, and here in Montana it is very cold and we have quite a bit of snow. But a hope for spring comes with every minute of daylight that has been added to the days. I know I have already been noticing it. So my thoughts have turned to this years foals. I thought I would take us into spring and summer by sharing with you who I think will foal.
This post is simply based on who was not given PZP. The age group for this group are those mares born from 2003-2007. I am also going to include the mares born in 2008.
Of course this last year we all received many surprises, many of the younger mares had foals. I am hoping that does not happen this year. From what I have learned, it is much healthier for the mares if they do not conceive until they are in the 4-5 years old.
It was my understanding that the spring of 2011 the weather conditions were so that the PZP was not able to be given at the optimum time. (Remember that was the spring after the huge snow year of 2010-2011). So that may be the reason for last years surprises.
I would welcome a few surprises from other mares other than the ones I am about to list.
So let’s start in the Dryhead of the Pryors.
1. Icara, daughter of Waif and Corona was born in 2008. I am listing her here because I said I would include those born in 2008. But I do not believe she will have a foal. I saw Durango breeding her in late July. (which made me think she had been given PZP) Since she had Morgana in March last year, she would have most likely conceived one month after that, which would have been in April. She is currently in Fools Crow’s band.
2. Fresia, born in 2005, and the daughter of Buffalo Girl and Durango, will most likely have a foal this year. She was with the Band Stallion Merlin last spring, so he will most likely be the father again this year. Merlin was injured in June last year and lost his band briefly, but I believe because Fresia’s colt Montana was born the first part of April that she would have conceived in May, so I feel it will be Merlins. She is currently in Hidalgo’s band.
3. Halo, born in 2007, daughter of Waif and Corona. She was in Merlin’s band. Depending on when and if she foals will determine who the father is. She is currently in Hidalgo’s band.
That is unfortunately, all of the mares that fall into the “No PZP” group in the Dryhead this year.
So let’s move up to the Mountain Top Horses.
1. Halcyon, born in 2007, daughter of Blue Sioux and Coronado. She had Miocene the first part of May last year, so let’s watch for another foal this year around that same time. She was and still is with the Band Stallion, Blue Moon, so the foal will most likely be his.
2. Isadora, born in 2008, daughter of Rosarita and Starman may foal this year. She is currently in Blue Moon’s band. She had the foal Lemhi in 2011. Lemhi has not been seen since the spring of 2012.
3. Gabrielle, born in 2006, daughter of Brumby and Jackson. She had McKeahnie the middle of May last year. Gabrielle was and still is with the Band Stallion Cappuccino, so the foal will most likely be his.
4. Fiasco, born in 2005, daughter of Topper Two and Chino. She was and still is with the Band Stallion Custer, so he would most likely be the father. I know there are many of us that really want her to have a foal this year!!!
5. Fools Gold, born in 2005, daughter of Amethyst and Shaman. She is with the Band Stallion Coronado. Another one that we would all love to see a foal from this year.
6. Dove, born in 2003, daughter of Phoenix and Teton. She is with the Band Stallion Coronado. Dove just had a foal in mid August of this year. Although she is on the ” No PZP” list, I hope that she does not have a foal this year and is able to give all of her nourishment to her young filly, Manuelita, instead.
7. Demure, born in 2003, daughter of Broken Bow and Two Boots. Demure foaled last year the middle of May, giving the Pryors a beautiful colt, Malpais, from the stallion Santa Fe. She was with the Band Stallion Doc when she gave birth in 2012, so this years foal will most likely be Docs. This will be another great foal!
8. Graciana, born in 2006, daughter of Barcardi and Baja. She is currently in Duke’s band and was last year as well.
9. Helenium, born in 2007, daughter of Rosebud and Sandman. She was and still is in Duke’s band, so if she foals, it will mostly be Duke’s.
10. Hera, born in 2007, daughter of Audobon and Morning Star. She had the filly, Maia the middle of April last year. We all saw Galaxy breeding Hera on National TV, last May, so if she foals, the foal will most likely be Galaxys. I have to say, I hope she does! It would be Galaxy’s first foal and of course the grandfoal of Lakota’s.
11. Greta, born in 2006, daughter of Belle Starr and Chino. She has been with the stallion Garcia for almost 2 years now. So if she foals it will most likely be his. She had Millicent the end of April last year.
12. Galadrial, born in 2006, daughter of Atlantis and Duke. Depending on if she has a foal and when, will determine who the father may be. Tecumseh was the band stallion up until the middle of June, 2012. Since then Gringo has had this band.
13. Firestorm, born in 2005, daughter of Scarlet and White Cloud. She is in Jackson’s band. Firestorm had Malelstrom at the beginning of May 2012.
14. Galena, born in 2006, daughter of Blanca and Lakota. She is also in Jacksons band. She had Moenkopi April 22, 2012. Her foals are always stunning. Am I favoring her foals because she is Lakota’s daughter? Yes, well yes I am.
15. Hertiage, born in 2007, daughter of Warbonnet and Lakota. She is Kootenai’s mom, I would like to see another foal by Hertiage on the range. She is also in Jacksons band. So there is a possibility of a “Jackson 3” this year. Another one that I will be favoring!
17. Hailstorm, born in 2007, daughter of Aztec and White Cloud. She is in Morning Star’s band.
18. Gaelic Princess, born in 2006, daughter of Ireland and Prince. She is also in Morning Star’s band. If she foals, it will be beautiful, I already know that!
19. Hataalii, born in 2007, daughter of Sapo and Shaman. She is in Morning Star’s Band. So Morning Star may have 3 foals in his band this year!
20. Half Moon, born in 2007, daughter of Rosarita and Starman. Mother of Missoula and my Kiowa. She is in Teton’s band. She had Missoula in the middle of April, 2012. Well, of course this will be another favorite!
21. Feldspar, born in 2005, daughter of Rosarita and Starman. She had Mica May 6, 2012. Feldspar is in White Cloud’s band.
22. Inocentes, born in 2008, daughter of Fiasco and Baja. She may have a foal this year. She is also in White Cloud’s band.
23. Damsel, born in 2003, daughter of White Cloud and Sitka. I have decided to include her in this list, even though at the time she is missing. Until spring comes, we may not really know if she is gone. She was due to foal again in September 2012. So perhaps she will be found with a new stallion and may have a foal and/or be pregnant with a healthy foal, due in September 2013. She was in her father White Cloud’s band the last time she was seen.
A total of 26 foals may be born this year. It will be interesting to see what really occurs! Some are more favorite than others, but all are going to be equally adored!
Here is a link to an interactive website that allows you to see what color a foal may be. It is a great site about Color Genetics. Click COLOR to go there! Thanks Shawn for letting me know about this!