Day 3 in the Pryors, June 19, 2012

On the morning of the 3rd day, I got up around 5:30 again.  The best light of the day is between 5:30 -8:30 am in the summer on the mountain.   The first horse that I saw was Starman.  He was close by.

At the age of 23 he seems to be doing pretty well.  He is a little thin, but it does not seem to be stopping him.  I saw him several times this trip and most were miles from where I had seen him last.  He really gets around.  When I saw him in May he was challenging Santa Fe for Judith.  You can read about that post by clicking STARMAN  I saw him briefly challenge Santa Fe on my first day here this trip.

Since he lost his band (Rosarita and Isadora) in the winter of 2011, he has been a lone almost every time that I have seen him.  This trip I saw him briefly with Prince.

Starman, June 19, 2012

I saw another band a short distance away and started walking towards them.  It was Morning Star and his band.  I have never been this close to Morning Star.  Usually I see him from a distance and have never been able to get good photos of him and his band, so this was really exciting!

Morning Star and Hataalii, June 18, 2012
Hataalii and Felina
Morning Star and band
Morning Star and Gaelic Princess
Hailstorm, June 18, 2012
Felina and Audobon, June 18, 2012
Felina and Audobon,June 18, 2012
Morning Star
Morning Star
Morning Star
Gaelic Princess
Kelly and Hailstorm

Kaycee was nearby with her new filly.  Jackson’s band had moved on.  She waited until her filly woke up and then went to join them.

Kaycee’s filly, June 19, 2012
Kaycee and Filly
June 19, 2012

Kaycee and Filly

I continued walking and saw Coronado and his band standing on a big patch of snow by some trees.

Coronado and band, June 19, 2012
Coronado and band

We decided to hike back to the campsite.  We saw Jackson and his band.  Kaycee’s filly woke up with an attitude!

Kaycee, Jackson and filly

After eating breakfast, we went to check on Lakota.  On our way back we saw Blue Moon and Jackson bands.

Halcyon and Blue Moon

Little Miocene was napping near by.  We stayed and watched them for a few minutes.  I think decided I should get some video, so switched cameras for the next hour.  I like to take and work with video.  It is just really hard sometimes to switch camera’s.  At the end of this post I have two of the videos I have done of the Pryor Horses.

Amethyst and Miocene
Sequoyah, June 19, 2012
Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Miocene and Blue Moon

After making a brief stop at the campsite, we headed back down towards Penn’s Cabin.   I saw Galaxy and his band napping in the sun.   They did not seem to mind that we stopped to spend some time with them.

Galaxy, Jun 19, 2012
Hera and Maia
Galaxy, June 19, 2012
Galaxy, June 19, 2012

We left them and continue down towards Penn’s.  Baja was there, keeping his band in line.


It was time for lunch, so we headed back to our camp.  On the way I saw London off in the distance with Knight and Jupiter.  I was relieved to see London.

After lunch I spent some time hiking around with Shawn and his daughter.

Then I checked on Lakota once more.  The wind was picking up and there were little bits of snow falling.  I went back to my campsite!

On the way back I saw the Jackson’s.

Firestorm, her foal and Brumby’s foal.

I am a prepared camper.  I take enough clothes and other things to be able to survive for an extra two or more  days if I need to.  With the way the weather looked right now, I thought maybe this might be one of those times.  Weather at 8,500 feet can be very unpredictable, even in June.  The already challenging road becomes even more challenging when it is wet or has snow on it.  We talked about heading down the mountain then, but decided to stay.

The horses were heading into the trees early tonight.  I knew that meant something was coming.  We watched band after band go by us and head down in the trees below us.

Duke’s band
Madonna and foal, June 19, 2012
The boys: Knight, London, Garay, Jupiter and Iriel

The light was really flat because of the storm coming in, but I thought I would share these with you anyway, even though they are not the clearest images.

Garay and London
London and Knight
Jupiter and Garay, June 19, 2012
Tecumseh sees the boys

Tecumseh and Gringo were still fighting.  Tecumseh saw the boys and decided to come over and set them straight.  Letting them know that they should not even try to come over to Gringo and his band.

Jupiter and Tecumseh
Tecumseh takes on the boys.
London has had enough!
Knight and Garay make a break for it!
Heading away from Tecumseh
Knight, Garay and London watch Tecumseh take off after Gringo.

It was getting even colder now.  Our third day was coming to a close.

All photos are available for purchase.  Contact me at: for more information.